Thursday, October 8, 2015

Chromebook Pilot, Week 2, Thursday

2nd Period:
Another assessment today: vertex form
Graded yesterday's assessment on solving by factoring.

I'm hopeful about these grades, but not counting my chickens. This is a skill they had seen before, but it was also the first skill they'd done online. 13/17 had A's or B's. Hoping I can grade today's assessments this afternoon.

Class itself was uneventful. As they finished their assessments, they finished anything unfinished and began on this cool assignment on transformations with complex numbers from . It's due for homework. It was a shortened period.


















3rd Period:
I stayed fairly busy and had 17 kids working on 5 different assignments. That is a definite pro about having my website ready to go and access to the Chromebooks.

  • A student who had zoned out the last 2 days went back to trying and asked for lots of help. He's a smart kid, but chooses when he wants to try to understand. He started over on Monday's lesson and seemed to have it by the end. I need to call home and see if we can get him to be more consistent.
  • A student who had been "out" the last 10 days returned today. He's also a smart kid, but he makes poor decisions. He took this class last year, passed it and the EOC exam, but failed because of absences. Two days before his vacation, I had let him begin working ahead in the text. The idea was that he would let me know when he was ready to assess, and we'd go from there. When he finished our curriculum before everyone else, I was going to begin going over Math II with him.
  • Another student had been missing the last 3 days returned. She was working on all sorts of skills that she is behind on. She somehow took Math II as a Freshman and is now taking Math I. So, sometimes she picks things up real quick, but her foundation is really weak. She also has issues with attendance. She has some reassessments to take, which I mentioned to her. She said she took one last week and tried to turn it in to me, but that I said I didn't need it. That's entirely possible. It's hard for me to remember this morning.
  • The rest of the class were working on various things from the 3 main skills we'd done this week (including the one we started today--Addition and Subtraction of Polynomials).
4th Period:
Short and uneventful. They finished up Systems of Inequalities and began Addition and Subtraction of Polynomials. I had another student tell me that she understands the format and understands the material from the videos. Yay! Grading their assessments from yesterday now, but I don't expect the success that 2nd block had because we were so jumbled up and they had so much drama with the crying and all. I'll post it anyway.

3rd and 4th grades on Solving Systems of Equations:

A'sB'sC'sD'sF'sAverage:Median:
3rd Block - Math I1523266.270
4th Block - Honors Math I650027889

No comments:

Post a Comment