Friday, November 13, 2015

Chromebook Pilot - One Month Recap

It's been a month since I posted. I got busy. Who'd of thunk it? A teacher? In October? This was rushed, but I wanted to get something down so I can go back to posting more often.

I am going to organize this into pros, cons, difficulties, what (I think) the kids liked, what I would have done differently, and what I plan to do going forward. I haven't formally thought this through, so I'll be just as surprised as you!

Pros
Self-pacing/Not teaching
No excuses
Organization of materials
Desmos Activity Builder!
Sitting in Groups

Cons
Lack of peer-to-peer interaction at certain parts throughout lessons.
Not "teaching". I miss lecturing.

Difficulties
Trying to get the right mix of individual/group work
Finding the right formative assessments that don't interrupt their focus


What (I think) the Kids Liked
Believe it or not, the videos. Many groan when I say I'm going to teach a concept. Don't know if that's because they think I suck or they like the benefits of the video. I really want to have all my videos and packets done already, but I'm glad I don't because this is giving me a chance to really cement how I want my videos and resources to be and how they mesh. We went to a PLC conference (the DuFours) last week. It was awesome and could be a blog post on its own, but, in reference to my near-term classroom, it's going to change how I look at 2 things: Homework and Student Data Notebooks. In fact, that will be its own blog post if I can get around to it.

What I Would Have Done Differently
More hands-on activities or  problem-based learning.
Started more slowly, adding one thing a week (Classroom, Desmos, videos, etc.).
I think no head phones. I just can't control if they are listening to music. I think I'm going to have them pair up to watch the videos in spots throughout the room. That way I can incorporate peer-to-peer interaction, too.

Going Forward...
I may eliminate formal assessments on each skill and just do Mastery Checks, which they would take like a real test, but they would grade it. They would track the grades in their data notebook and I would post the grades online (with 0 weight). Their official grades would come maybe with a mid-unit assessment and a unit assessment, both separated by skills.
  • they grade
  • goes in the gradebook, but with no weight
  • only the mid-unit and unit tests count?
I think I'm also going to make stations for summary, where I'll sit and where they'll go when they finish watching the video. They'll have to pass muster before moving to the practice stations. After they finish practicing and checking their solutions, they will go to the application/student tutor

Next Semester:
1. Teach as whole group by the video, modeling how to pause, rewind, and take notes.
2. I assume some will gradually begin asking me if they can watch on their own. Of course they can!
3. Eventually set all my birdies free.

Also:
  • Data Notebooks, for sure
  • Change homework packets--generally 6 new problems, 2-3 problems from earlier in the unit, and 2-3 problems from earlier in the year. I was told at the PLC conference that high school students should get 6-10 questions per night, including review.

2 comments:

  1. This is really interesting Ben to read your reflections. I also enjoy that you have a sense of humor about things, even when they are difficult. The "What I Would Have Done Differently" section reminds me of the process we had to follow when we applied for National Boards. I like it when you have the opportunity to reflect on that rather than worrying about doing everything perfectly the first time. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to support you through this adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete