Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Chromebook Pilot, Observations from Week 2 - Monday


Monday
2nd Period, Honors Math III
I did have a student ask me a question and I replied by asking him how he was hearing the video without the volume up or wearing earplugs. I realized that I needed to specify that everyone needed to "listen to" as well as "watch" the videos. It also made me realize that I needed to specify that you can't listen to music and the video at the same time. Krystal Kirch mentioned similar problems when she started several years ago. I shoulda learned... I offered to walk through the video at the front of the room with anyone who was interested. No one took me up on it, so I roamed around the room, answering questions.

After everyone had finished watching the video, I had them discuss for two minutes straight in their groups. We came together as a class and summarized each part. It went okay, but I want more talking throughout!

I should mention that, on Friday morning, one parent in this class requested a meeting with me (and an admin!) for Wednesday. This was after only two days of doing math with the Chromebooks and new setup. Don't know what it's about other than she wants to make sure her daughter's needs are met.

3rd Period, Math I
My regular Math I class is jumping on it with no complaints. My only complaint is that they are too quiet, so, I interrupted twice during the video (after they had finished each example) and let them discuss, followed by whole-class discussion. The two minutes they are talking is great, but they are all so quiet when watching the videos. I tell them not to continue while confused and to ask for clarification, but they don't, yet.

4th Period, Honors Math I
I didn't mention the questionnaire. I'm not ready to discuss it, yet. They did well today, but some are complaining about "too much work". I promise I haven't given them too much work. Not even close. I hope some of them aren't becoming students who complain just to complain.

To Do:
Several assessments and rubrics
Set up the website for the rest of the week

Problems
  • Too quiet!!!
Solutions:

  • ??? Time? Something more complicated than graphing linear inequalities?

I was going to post a week's at a time, but Tuesday was eventful, so I'm going to go ahead and get Monday out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment