Saturday, October 3, 2015

Chromebook Pilot, Observations from Week 1

Observations from Week 1 of the Chromebook Pilot

So... I made two girls cry on Thursday. I mean, I didn't make them, but they did. Two freshmen in Honors Math I. They, and several others in the class, are overwhelmed with the new technology and the weight being placed upon them to be responsible for their own education (my vision), while others in the class are getting bored from going too slow. (A parent of a student has also requested a meeting this week.)

Let me set the scene:

Background
I had been telling all of my classes about the Chromebooks since the beginning of the year. Once we learned we were going to get them, the Honors Math I class was the most excited. I spent 15-25 hours last weekend watching videos, reading, and researching how I wanted to implement these things, and then making websites, organizing Google Classroom, making documents, etc. I am actually saving myself a lot of work by using the materials that the Algebros have already set up. I saw them at the NCMT annual meeting in New Orleans two years ago when I was thinking about flipping. They are awesome. Part of my two-year plan is to replace all of their materials with my own, but, for now, I am borrowing. I don't have time to recreate all of these things. :/

I have been doing SBG for 2 years, so my frame work is pretty good. But I want to create rubrics for each skill (and each class). Something like this. By using the Algebros materials, I hope to have enough time to create the skill rubrics. We have been making skill lists (I can...) per unit ahead of time, but the rubrics would be a lot more effective. As a part of using SBG, I make students reassess if they produce a D or lower and I let them reassess for anything higher if they request it. It's a little more work, but not too bad because most assessments only have 4 questions (ish), so it's not too tough to make a new one. Also, because I've been doing this for two years, my bank of assessments is up to 5 for some skills--I just need to come up with a way to remember who took what so that I don't give the students the same test as a reassessment. My strategy right now is to always make a new one...

I want to be able to do Genius Hour. I told them this. I shouldn't have. At least, not until we found our groove. There are some students who are very excited about this, but I shouldn't have mentioned it until I was sure what my framework for each week was going to be.

Monday
On Monday, we did zero math. I guided them through their Chromebooks, setting up bookmarks and realizing we didn't have the rights to download extensions and apps. I guided them through Classroom and where to find assignments, etc. I showed them my website and introduced the Algebros. I shared with them My Vision and the tech 10 Commandments that the district made and I really like.

Tuesday
I walked them through their first lesson. We got to different points for each of the classes. The Honors Math I class made the least progress because I kept blathering on about how awesome I thought this was going to be and what all of the benefits were. We watched the video together. I paused it and told them what I thought they should write down in their matching packets. I didn't have printed packets for the Honors Math I class. Dropped the ball.

Wednesday
Lilly woke up and said she was going to spew. Lilly is rarely sick and is a much better sickie than me. I had to make a quick decision to make and decided to stay home. She was fine by lunch. I told her that from here on out I was doing what my mom did. "I'm going to drop you off at school, but if you still feel bad at lunch, call me and I'll come get you."

As far as my classes went, I made new assignments and announcements on Google Classroom and was insistent that they email if they had questions. I received a few, received one an hour late, and never received some that were sent. On top of that, either Google screwed up or I did, but the Classroom links were mixed up for the Honors I class. At this point, were I in that class, I'd be a little freaked out. But I didn't think about it. This is one of my favorite groups in years...

Thursday
I don't know what happened. I showed up. Several in Honors Math I complained about things while the other two classes were fairly submissive/responsive. It bothered me because this class didn't offer solutions and really weren't specific about what they didn't like. It was more of "I'm not good with technology." I lost my patience and asked why they didn't ask questions on Tuesday or why I wasn't emailed on Wednesday. I asked, impatiently, what exactly the problem was and received nothing more than "it just sucks".

I moved on, going over the next video with them and noticed two girls in the back crying. :( I continued on until I could get to a point where the video could continue without me and went to the back to ask what was wrong. They were worried about their grades. I asked if they meant that they feared they wouldn't get to learn it to the depth they wanted. They couldn't really answer. I assured them that I wasn't going to abandon them or let them fail their goals. We then moved over to our new whiteboard table (!!!) and worked through the examples together. They still sniffled for 15 minutes. A couple other students joined us. Class ended and I asked that they not hate me. They said they didn't. I was shaken. I had things planned for the upcoming Monday that would have relieved their worries had we made it that long, but we didn't. In my excitement, I rushed things.

Friday
I rearranged the room. I left 6 seats in front of the projector and whiteboard for those who wanted direct instruction (me guiding them through the video so that they will eventually get there on their own). I arranged the rest of the desks in pods of 4 and moved the whiteboard table to the middle of the room. The other two classes took to it. I had some who wanted direct instruction. Others grouped up. Some worked alone. Honors I all grouped up. No one working alone. I announced I'd be at the white board table hoping for visitors. Some came, some raised their hand and I went to them. Others worked together.

At the end of two classes, I posted a 2-question Google Form about the setup. The regular Math I class averaged 3.85 out of 5 and didn't have any suggestions or complaints. All reported a happiness of 3 or higher. The Honor Math I averaged less than 3. They had six 1's or 2's, two 3's, and four 4's or 5's. And they left comments. Not surprisingly, there were a couple about me being short with them. Anyway, with the inspiration that Crystal Kirch and her comprehensive introspection, I decided to address each (negative) point. I'm still not sure how I will use this Monday. In one aspect, I want to continue without pause, in another, I want to regain the trust they had in me before last week. We have had so much fun and they keep adding names to my title (and I've added a few). We are up to Mr. Professor Executive Boss Man Master Buzzkill Morris. Anyway, here are my responses. Again, not sure what I will do with these. I think I'll read through them Monday and reword some in a positive light without reducing my sense of indignation at the one...

I was going to type up the bullet points below, but I need to do actual work and not just talk about it.

What to do next semester
Introduce each part slowly.
Be more prepared.
Comfort and reassure along the way.

Comments, questions, constructive criticisms? Please comment below.

To do this weekend:
  • Weekly calendar and checklist
  • Assessments
Problems
  • pacing
  • pre-assessing
  • working together
Solutions:
  • Introduce it more slowly-Kirch
  • Emphasize even more that I won't abandon them and I'm not not going to teach them.
  • Organize more-I rushed it.
  • Re-emphasize the times I'm available outside of class time.
  • Teamwork-
    • no music?
    • WSQ time - (Again, Kirch)
    • reorganized my room, teaching area, whiteboard table, groups
To do in the near future:
  • One mini-project assessment per week
    • video a lesson
    • hands on
    • create a desmos lesson
    • create application problems
    • apply skill to real world
  • Create google forms/socrative etc. pre-assessments

To do in the far future:
  • Make my own videos and packets
  • Make my own preassessments
    • Google script and random variables
Strings attached--Meetings and what the district wants/expects

4 comments:

  1. I would take a little time to talk about the elephant in the room. Many honors students don't like change. Reassure them, clarify the mission, move on. Tell me to butt out if you like. I'm proud of what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    I'm sure I'll say something. I need to acknowledge the feelings of fear, but I also need to address the fact it's okay (and necessary) to go through change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This introspection and dialogue with your students is evidence of some of the most dynamic instruction taking place in the country. I applaud your efforts to make this learning experience a dialogic process for your students, Mr. Morris. I also want to express my deep respect for your students' efforts to articulate their level of understanding; they are learning to advocate for themselves, and this will benefit them throughout their lives. You are all learning together, as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This introspection and dialogue with your students is evidence of some of the most dynamic instruction taking place in the country. I applaud your efforts to make this learning experience a dialogic process for your students, Mr. Morris. I also want to express my deep respect for your students' efforts to articulate their level of understanding; they are learning to advocate for themselves, and this will benefit them throughout their lives. You are all learning together, as it should be.

    ReplyDelete