Sunday, February 12, 2012

Here we go again!

I haven't been this excited since my first year teaching! I'm about to redesign my classroom teaching methods from the floor up! For some reason, after 7 years teaching, I didn't hear about standards-based grading (SBG) until Fall '11. And I didn't really read about it until last week. Since then, I've been obsessed.

I'm doing it. I have to. My motivation for teaching has fizzled because nothing I have done has been nearly as successful as I thought it would. I've tried implementing various teaching strategies, but to no avail. My kids, on average, accomplish no more and no less than they had previously. It made me rethink my job choice several times. SBG makes so much sense and is so simple fundamentally, that I'm embarrassed I haven't thought of it before. I want to thank all of the bloggers who have posted soooooo much information on the ins and outs of implementing SBG. It started off with my clicking one link, and opening new tabs to the other links and so-on and so-forth until, probably 20 hours later, I have a feeling I kind of know how I am going to start.

I've decided to blog to share for anyone who cares to read. I'll try to link to all of the places I've been, but I've been to soooo many, that probably won't be possible.

I would like this blog to be an informational overview for parents, students, colleagues, and administration as I work my way to doing a strict SBG approach. I know there will be some mental hurdles as well as administrative hurdles, but I am AMPED!

So, to conclude this post, please bear with me as I try to sort through the seemingly endless ideas in my head. Also, please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Ben Morris, Mathematics and Engineering
Lakeview High School
Campti, LA

Next up: My initial plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment