Tuesday, February 14, 2012

...

This will be a short one.


I gave a vocabulary quiz today.  I graded them immediately, but couldn't hand them back because our online grading system was down.  I notated them all with what I thought at the time was extraordinary feedback until realizing tonight that the feedback was worthless.  I love this process!!!  It's testing everything I've done in the 6+ years I've been teaching


I've done a vague introduction with my students re: SBG and told them they were going to be my guinea pigs.  They seem to be extremely excited at the idea of knowing where they are and where they need to go.  I think I've finally settled on a way to infuse it into our grading system.  And I may officially stop giving averages tomorrow.

90+% of skills (15-20 in the qtr) at 3/4 or above = A
80+, B
70+, C
60+, D

This really is lower than I would like, but it's what I'm working with, and it may just be me clinging to the old school.  It's also going to be tricky changing grades in past quarters because the online system blocks changing those scores.  All past scores have to be changed in the system manually by the counselor/administration and I don't know what process I will have for that.  I have to talk to the counselor, explain SBG, and ask what's good for her.

I'm still working on documentation to get to them and the parents that will explain the details.  I think I'll hold a parent night for my students only.  You know, for bonus points.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment